Monday, 29 August 2011

"Give me what you have within ........"

There was once a wise woman travelling through the mountains, when she found a precious stone in the stream. The following day she met another traveller. He was hungry, so the wise woman opened her bag to share her food.
He saw the precious stone in her bag, and asked the woman to give it to him. Without hesitation, she gave it to him. He left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew that the value of the stone would give him security for the rest of his life.

But a few days later, he came back to return the precious stone to the wise woman.
"I've been thinking," he said. "I know how valuable this stone is, but I give it back to you in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me this stone."
Sometimes it is not the wealth you have, but what is inside you that others need.


I was being continuously pestered for one of my Corvettes by someone who just wanted, but could not afford one. Eventually worn down, I let him take the car, hoping to make arrangements for eventual payment. Soon afterwards he was divorced, and then lost his business (and conveniently also lost contact with me). Recently I saw my old Corvette for sale in an advertisement. On further investigation, I learnt the man who just had to have my Corvette had died, broken and miserable.

'Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting' is Lynn Grabhorn's attempt to re write 'The Law of Attraction'. After reading her book, and not being convinced by nor comfortable with her energy, I set out to research her, only to discover that she had died. While she had penned about positive thoughts and feelings, I have my doubts whether or not she actually mastered the art of fine tuning and releasing her inner demons.

Lions in the wild, after making a kill, do not then proceed to drag all the useless bones around with them. After all, they are not bone collectors. Once they have eaten their fill, they move on without hoarding the weight of useless, material junk. This allows them to laze in the sun for days on end, without a single worry.
Hamsters are famous hoarders. In fact, their name originates from the German word 'hamstern' meaning 'to hoard'. The downfall of hoarding comes when the collection is raided; all possessions, as well as non replaceable time, are lost. Hoarders spend most of their lives strongly defending their possessions. Hamsters and mice are constantly in the proverbial 'RatRace' to snatch, gather and hoard. They are notoriously suseptable to diseases and the spread of them. Their stressed temperment ensured that their worried little lives have a very short lifespan. 



Throughout my life I have happily given to people who wanted what I had. Interestingly enough, once they were in possession of what their greed had lead them to want, they had absolutely no idea how to appreciate their new aquisition. It would soon be abandoned as that person spiralled downwards in a displaced attitude.
Sadly, most people believe that taking possession of something will bring contentment. Some of us know for a fact that true happiness is simply enjoying the contentment of being alive - everything else is merely incidental.
So the question is ........ Do you wish to live the life of a lion, have the lions' share and live in the sun, or are you living the life of a diminutive hamster in your quest to build a personal empire of material wealth and worry? 

"Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want"







2 comments:

  1. Out of context, to be sure...I quote my favourite poet Yeats...
    Never give all the heart, for love
    Will hardly seem worth thinking of
    To passionate women if it seem
    Certain, and they never dream
    That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
    For everything that's lovely is
    But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
    O never give the heart outright,
    For they, for all smooth lips can say,
    Have given their hearts up to the play.
    And who could play it well enough
    If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
    He that made this knows all the cost,
    For he gave all his heart and lost.

    I think he lived in brief and glorious bursts of life...reading your post today, which is very inspiring...brought the above to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In perfect context, you read between the lines and felt the depth of my story written in simple form.
    Yeats is my favourite !

    ReplyDelete